Saturday, April 18, 2009

Flying Gliders

Flying has been in my blood since I was a kid. I believe God plants those desires in our heart. When I first started flying almost thirty years ago, I could not believe that everyone did not share my passion. I found out a lot of people could care less about flying airplanes.

I enjoy flying anything with wings and had one glider ride years ago. Last May on a trip to the Bahamas, I met a fellow corporate pilot who was a believer and glider pilot. I told how I was looking for a way to teach my middle son how to fly. He suggested we learn to fly gliders together.

I did not need much encouragement, and found a local glider club in the Houston area called the Soaring Club of Houston (SCOH).
Since Jaron was gone most of the summer to Africa, we waited until September to join the club. Ironically, our first scheduled lesson was the day Hurricane Ike hit. I was gone that weekend evacuating the G-IV to New York. That is a another story in itself. We got on the schedule the next weekend and both of us flew. Here are some pics of Jaron's first flight.

BLANIK L-23 COCKPIT

STRAPPING IN - Younger brother watching

TOW PLANE GETTING IN POSITION

FIRST TAKEOFF

WALKING BACK WITH INSTRUCTOR AFTER LANDING

Jaron has learned fast and soloed this past December. Here are some pics of his first solo flight.

COMPLETING CHECKLIST

TOW ROPE ATTACHED

WAITING

BIG SMILE AFTER SUCCESSFUL SOLO

Since December the weather and schedule conflicts have slowed the flying down somewhat. However, we are both getting close to taking our checkrides for our private pilot glider rating. Here are a couple of recent pics.

SELF PORTRAIT

JARON SOARING 500' BELOW ME

Stayed tuned for more exciting news as we continue our glider flying!

No comments: