Sunday, May 17, 2009

Servanthood Musings

I don't know how those who blog everyday do it. I have been wanting to write for the last week but have been so very busy. There have been graduations, piano recitals, missions fund raisers, baseball games, and a plethora of other activities in our family the past week. We took on the project of finally ripping up the 26 year old carpet in our living room and hallway and installing laminate flooring. Thanks to my two older sons and a couple of their friends who did most of the work.

We have had two home fellowships since I last posted. We had moved this past weeks gathering to Friday because of a conflict on Thursday. Only one family was able to make it. We had a good time of sharing and singing a few songs that I was able to bang out on the guitar.

I have been doing a lot of meditating on serving. Alan at The Assembling of the Church has several posts about servanthood I recommend.

Jesus said something interesting in Luke 22:25-27.

25 And he said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them, and those in authority over them are called benefactors.
26 But not so with you. Rather, let the greatest among you become as the youngest, and the leader as one who serves.
27 For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves. (ESV)

So how does that fit our paradigm of who is most important? Jesus in verse 27 asked the rhetorical question of who is greater. He answered with a question, "Is it not the one who reclines at table?" Then followed with a radical statement, "...I am among you as the one who serves." Why is that a radical statement? Because it flew in the face of what was the standard of the times. Great men were served, not servants. How is that different from today? It is not. The heart of man has not changed. We still exalt men in the world and the church who are most visible. Those who are charismatic, the nicest looking etc. Who is most important in the church today? The pastor? Elders? Deacons? How about the lowliest member?

1 Cor 12:23 - " and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty."

1 Cor 12;24b - "....But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it,"

So what does this all mean to me? I am being charged to be more of a servant. Serve my wife. Serve my children. Serve my brethren. The light of the scripture exposes me. I am not sure how all of this looks yet, but believe the Holy Spirit will be faithful to teach me.

No comments: